RULES/INFO FOR ROUX RALLY TEAMS:
ENTRY Entry fee will be $150 for a four (4) person team. Teams can add two (2) additional members for $25 each member. Entry fee will include gift bag, t-shirt for each paying team member, 10x10 cooking space.
AMOUNT We're asking everyone to cook about 8-10 gallons. We will supply all the tasting cups/spoons/napkins. Tasting begins at 1:00 pm, so we ask that all gumbeaux is ready to serve at that point.
COOKING RULES No ingredients can be combined offsite, we want all the cooking to be done at the event to keep it fair. Teams will be allowed to bring all ingredients prepped in advance including roux (chop the veggies, make the stock and roux, etc). However, ALL TEAMS must combine ALL ingredients the day of, on site. Teams are also responsible for bringing cooked rice to serve with gumbeaux, if desired.
ARRIVAL Arrival for team set up will be between 6:30-8:00am. A Roux Rally representative will meet you at the drop off point and assist in getting your equipment to your site.
SPACE Space location is based on application’s received. The area size will be 10 x 10. Teams are encouraged to decorate their area. Teams must furnish ALL their cooking equipment including tents, tables, chairs, butane cookers, water etc. Electricity is may not available at cook site. See below for a suggested list of items to bring.
**New to this year: We will have a double blind judging system. A set of 2 tickets will be issued to the teams, teams keep one ticket and then tape the other to the bottom of the judges sample, notification of awards will be called by number so don’t lose your ticket!
As far as what type of gumbeaux and what judging will be based on; the judges will decide on:
- BEST OVERALL
- -1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will receive awards
- Best Chicken and Sausage
- Best Seafood
- Best Cajun Combo
- PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER
- Judged by all people attending the event (gumbo, tent atmosphere, the whole experience at your tent. Leaving it up to the people to decide!)
- - 1st place will receive award, 2nd & 3rd will be recognized
- BEST PARTY
- Maybe your gumbeaux wasn't the best, but you brought the party! This will be judged by our celebrity judges who will be looking for tent decorations, themes, or other creative ideas that add to the fun atmosphere of the event!
- -1st place will receive award, 2nd & 3rd will be recognized
Prizes, judges, and specific criteria for gumbeaux will be announced soon! Please check our facebook page and website for updates. Thanks for your participation in Roux Rally!
If you have any questions or need clarifications of the rules please do not hesitate to contact us or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some suggested judging criteria from last year:
- Appearance-looks like a good gumbo-roux color, etc.
- Aroma-should smell appetizing.
- Consistency-stirs like a good gumbo-thickness of base etc.
- Texture-Balanced quantity of ingredients.
- Flavor- tastes like a good gumbo, please to the palate
Requirements and Safety:
- Limited glass bottles and/or glass containers will be allowed in the cook-off area.
- Please follow safe cooking practices and eliminate cross contamination of ingredients.
- Crescent Crown will provide all alcoholic/non alcoholic beverages for sale during this event.
- Please make sure your area is clean and all trash has been removed from your site before leaving. Please have your area vacated by 6:00 p.m. Saturday, February. 6. 2010.
- KIDS/ Youth Oasis has the right to refuse or accept any application.
- KIDS/ Youth Oasis, its officers, agents, employees and other representatives shall not be held liable for, and are hereby expressly released from, any liability for any damage, loss, harm or injury to the person or property, whether caused by theft, fire, water, weather, or any other cause, of any cook-off participant and/or attendee while at this event. Cook-off participants and attendees expressly understand that their participation in and attendance at this event constitutes an express waiver of any and all claims, demands, suits, liability, damages, loss costs, attorney fees and expenses of whatever kind or nature, resulting from against KIDS/Youth Oasis, its officers, agents, employees and other representatives harmless from.which might result from or arise from any action or failure to act on the part of the cook-off participant or any of its officers, agents, employees or its officers, agents, employees and other representatives harmless from.
Suggested List of Supplies
- 30-40qt stock pot
- 1 full propane tank
- 1 propane burner
- All ingredients for winning gumbeaux
- Cooked rice
- Cutting board
- Paddle/spoon for stirring
- Ladle for serving
- Bowls/Ziplock bags for storing ingredients
- Kitchen Towels
- Paper Towels
- 10x10 Pop Up tent
- 1 or 2 6ft tables
- Chairs for leisure
- Ice chest for all raw ingredients
- Water and soft drinks for your team.
- TENT DECORATIONS!!
***KIDS will provide samples spoons and cups.